Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Josh C Josh C is offline

Default finding a file in excel

Hi Ronald,
here is some code the statement works (i think because it is a .xls file, i
tried a .doc file). i want to open the Excel11.xlb file. if you have any
suggestion that would be great thanks

'want to open .xlb
'doesn't work
'Workbooks.Open ("C:\Documents and Settings\<username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb")
'Workbooks.Open ("C:\Documents and Setting\JoshChandler\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb")

'does work
'Workbooks.Open ("M:\RalcoProdApp\SL - Sales\SL002 Ultimate
Calculator\Names.xls")

"Ronald Dodge" wrote:

By default, Excel stores any custom toolbars in the Personal.xls workbook,
which is stored under the general startup folder that any user can get to.
This workbook is also generally hidden as it's hidden by default. However,
the user can attach such toolbars to other workbooks.

For Excel startup locations (1 for all users, 1 for the specific user, and 1
alternate startup location that the user specifies under the General tab of
the Options dialog box), you may want to look up article 822107

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822107

You may also want to take a look at the list of the various ENVIRON function
enumerators, which will help in mapping to the user's Document and Settings
profile

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/pr...&type=thr ead

The other file that I see for Excel, which I'm not sure what the pip
extension is for, but anyhow, it seems to be pertanent to the user settings
is the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Office\Excel10.pip (Note, this is for Excel 2002)

The file path you refering to is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel10.xlb (Again, this is Excel 2002)

Sincerely,

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Master MOUS 2000
"Josh C" wrote in message
I think is going to be a hard one. I know Excel 2003 and newer has a file
(it
is called "Excel11.xlb" on my computer). In this file Excel saves what
toolbars were visible the last time Excel was shut down. The problem is
that
I want to open this file when I am closing a program I have developed. By
opening this file I will restore the toolbars various users have setup on
their Excel. I can already restore built in toolbars, but I want to
restore
custom toolbars if any user has set made their own. Excel knows where this
file is located because in accesses it when excel is opened. I know where
it
is on my computer, but I can not go around to every ones computer and find
the file and map the location. And I am sure it is not the same name on
every
computer. So, if Excel knows where it is, how do I make my program call
this
file right before the user closes their program.