SPRINTSF

Default "Unable to read file"message in Word & Excel

My PC has suddenly started displaying the above message whenever I attempt to
open Word or Excel files on my hard disc. My files are not corrupted as I get
the same error when using a diskette containing files which are months old. I
use Excel 2002 (10.6501.6626) SP3 installed from an Office XP CD & Windows XP
Home SP1. Is this a program or operating system error? I can find no help
anywhere! Problems with both Word & Excel files occurred simultaneously. Just
noticed similar problem with Powepoint, displaying "Powerpoint can't read
<filename" message.
Any help would be much appreciated.