Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Steve Hunter Steve Hunter is offline

Default BeforeSave, Cancel and ReadOnly

Hello

I am using the BeforeSave event to replace the normal save action with one
that determines changed data and writes it to a database. The basic structure
is as follows:

MsgBox "This would be the custom save action"
Cancel = True
End Sub

This works fine except when the workbook is read-only, which I require to
prevent users from messing around with the xls file, deleting it accidently
or whatever. Then it displays the message:

'savetest.xls' is read-only. To save a copy, click OK, then give the
workbook a new name in the Save As dialog box.

and continues as it should do with the custom action.

How do I get it to stop displaying that message box? It's entirely useless in
this case and just confuses people.

Thanks
Steve