Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Greg[_37_] Greg[_37_] is offline

Default script to send data from worksheet to multiple workbooks

On Apr 20, 10:17 pm, Susan wrote:
yes, you can do this.
to make it easier i would handle it this way.....

in worksheet, student's name is:
Smith, Robert

individual workbook for that student would be named
Smith_personalgrades.xls

then you can have a macro in the main workbook go down each row of the
column that contains the student's names, extract the last name (all
text before the comma) & call that variable sStudentName. have
"_personalgrades.xls" saved as a variable. open workbook
"sStudentName" & "_personalgrades.xls".
copy & paste appropriate range info (that row & columns a-c, for
instance).
save & close student workbook.
go on to next student.

obviously this will take a lot of coding, but when you're done, it
will work very quickly & do it all at once.
i do something similar for my boss only the other way around with
individual workbooks to the master workbook.
hope this gets you started in the right direction!
susan

On Apr 20, 6:29 am, Greg wrote:

Hi. Can anybody offer me some words of wisdom on how to approach the
following...

I want to create a data entry worksheet that links to multiple
workbooks. To be more specific, the data entry worksheet is a school
class mark book with perhaps up to 30 students listed with their
grades entered into the relevent columns.

I then would like to send each row of information (student name and
grades) into the individual workbook for that student. The individual
workbook contains worksheets for a student for all year levels that
they are in over a 5 year period. The individual workbook is
basically a profile where all the grades are crunched to provide a
level of achievement.

The individual workbook that crunches the numbers works beautifully.
I am just trying to simplify data entry by developing a "mark book"
where the data is then placed into each workbook. It is a drama to
open each student workbook individually and enter data. Any
suggestions??

Greg- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Susan

I don't suppose you can point to something similar to what you
suggested? My skill in writing scripts is below limited! I have had
good success in achieving my goals by finding a script that does
something similar to what I want and then spend hours reverse
engineering it and changing it to suit.

Greg