Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Rech Jim Rech is offline

Default Export to Excel 2007

Sorry so slow to respond to you.

I have one workaround you might consider. The warning you get opening in
Excel 2007 is controlled by a registry entry that is read just when a file
is opened in Excel. So you could set the entry, open the file and reset the
registry back.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security \ExtensionHardening

Set this to 0 to bypass warning. Set to 1 or delete to re-establish the
warning.

--
Jim
"Amitabh" wrote in message
| Yep Jim, I tired it by changing Extension and Excel 2007 can open it
without
| any error but I have to first save it and then manually open it in Excel
2007
| becaues by default .htm Extension are associated with IE and on directly
| opening, it opens up in IE.
| Jim, If there is any way to force from Server Application to directly open
| file in Excel 2007, then it would solve the query.
|
| Cindy Meister (Word MVP) Suggested me an alternative and I am working on
it
| too.
| Please folloiw the link for her solution.
| http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/sho...69919&siteid=1
|
| --
| Software Engineer,
| Cybage Software Pvt. Ltd.
| Pune, India
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Ahh, yes Excel 2007 'protects' users from opening files that do not have
the
| format that their file extensions suggest. If the file is an HTML file
any
| reason not to give it the HTM extension?
|
| --
| Jim
| "Amitabh" wrote in message
| | Thanks Jim for reply,
| | Yeah sorry Jim I forgot to give the Error Message. Below is the Error
| | message.
| |
| | The file your are trying to open, "StackRanking.xls, is in a different
| | format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is
not
| | corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you
| want
| | to open the file now?
| | and with three Command Buttons viz.. Yes, No, Help..
| |
| | On hitting yes everything goes smoothly and opens correctly but the
above
| | error message may confuse our clients...so I'm lookin for a way to
avoid
| the
| | above error message.
| |
| | And yes Jim, the code creates a HTML Text file I'll give you a little
| glance
| | of it when open that XLS file in notepad
| |
| | style="border-collapse:collapse;"
| | --
| | Software Engineer,
| | Cybage Software Pvt. Ltd.
| | Pune, India
| |
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | I'm not a .Net developer but I'd guess your code creates a text
file.
| Excel
| | 2007 is equally capable of opening a text file as Excel 2003 so that
| | shouldn't be a problem. Even if your code creates an Excel 2003
files
| | (.XLS) Excel 2007 can open that too.
| |
| | So I don't know what the problem is, but a clue would probably be
found
| in
| | the exact text of the error message which you should have included
in
| your
| | message.
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Amitabh" wrote in message
| | | Hi All,
| | | I have an web application where user can export the results of
search
| | action
| | | to an excel file so he can locally store it.. I have done this
with
| very
| | | simple code which is
| | | Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel";
| | | Response.AppendHeader("content-disposition",
"attachment;
| | | filename=StackRanking.xls");
| | | Response.Charset = "";
| | | System.IO.StringWriter sw = new
System.IO.StringWriter();
| | | System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter hw = new
| | | System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter(sw);
| | | (........fils dataset..... hw.RenderBeginTag)
| | | (System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriterTag.Html);
| | | dg.RenderControl(hw);
| | | hw.RenderEndTag();
| | | Response.Write(sw);
| | | Response.End();
| | |
| | | All work fine when end user has Excel 2003 but when he has Excel
2007
| it
| | | gives a warning err message when he tries to open the rendered
| | (downloaded)
| | | Excel File,
| | | I guess i need framework 3.0 to Support the file format of Excel
2007.
| | What
| | | in the code needs to be changed to have compatibility with Excel
2007
| | | File.....
| | |
| | | Thanks for reading my query...