Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
syswizard syswizard is offline

Default Which Excel Version Best for Creating New Applications or Add-ins?

On Apr 17, 8:23 pm, SummitXLer wrote:
I am creating a new Excel-based program (seewww.PKTutor.comfor a
preliminary demo). Given the plethora of Excel vesrions out there, I
am interested to know which version is regarded as best for modern
development of commercial products. Backward compatibility seems
pretty good with v.11 and v.12. Since this will be an international
educational and tutorial-type interactive program, I need good
compatibility all the way back to Excel 97 and into the future. Also,
I won't need to use XML. I can develop or test on almost any XL
version from Excel 97 onwards. Your comments (pros and cons) will be
greatly appreciated. For an example of my current Excel product for
medical/pharmaceutical/pharmacy data analysis (available in Excel 97
and XP), seewww.SummitPK.com

Much thanks in advance.

NONE....unless you don't care about your code being stolen.
Listen-up: I've been in communication with Michael Worosz
] who was supposed to be the product
manager of Excel 2007, but (for some strange reason), no longer
is....and he won't provide the name of the new Excel 2007 product
manager....telling. I told him about the need for XLA add-in security
that is hacker-proof. He indicated this was a "new feature". YEAH,
right ! Microsoft is not beefing-up XLA/Add-in code security for Excel
2007 on purpose.
They are (again, they love to push people around !) pushing developers
to go the VSTO which is "secure".
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/to...BuildingUI.htm
Of course, it will cost you about 2-3 years time and a couple of
thousand dollars of books and training before you can build apps at
the same speed as VBA.
Good luck !