Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mctabish[_3_] Mctabish[_3_] is offline

Default len limit of 255 of function. any workaround?

Dave,

I am not calling for any closed wb.
clean() did do what I wanted though!

Thanks
Mc

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
I don't think it's your function that's having the trouble with the length
of
the string.

Any chance you're retrieving a long string from a closed workbook, then
trying
to clean that.

Excel will only bring back up to 255 characters from a closed workbook.

Mctabish wrote:

I am getting a VALUE error when I run this function and the input string
is
longer than 255.
Basicaly, I am wanting to strip out all control characters.

Is there a better way to do that?
TIA,
Mc

Public Function CleanKey(vData As String) As String
Dim nChar As Long
Dim sChar As String * 1
Dim nCharCode As Long
Dim sNewData As String

For nChar = 1 To Len(vData)
sChar = Mid$(vData, nChar, 1)
nCharCode = Asc(sChar)
If nCharCode <= Asc("~") And nCharCode = Asc(" ") _
Then sNewData = sNewData & sChar
Next nChar
CleanKey = sNewData
End Function