Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
c mateland c mateland is offline

Default Help - How to check if value exists in closed workbook?

Actually, I've tried the vlookup as well and it failed too.

All of these functions work with closed files. I've established that
in my testing. BUT none of them work when the closed file contains
47000 rows in the lookup range, is what I found.

Can you get such a vlookup to work with a closed workbook containing
47000 rows?

Thanks,
-Chuck

On Apr 15, 3:19 pm, "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
Hi c mateland

The Vlookup worksheet function is working in a closed file

--

Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"c mateland" wrote in oglegroups.com...
What is the best method to validate a string's existance in a CLOSED
workbook that has many filled cells?

I need to check for a string in column A of an external closed book.
Column A of the external book has over 47,000 filled cells. I have a
VBA routine that writes a match function into a cell of thisworkbook,
but I get the error alert, "Excel cannot complete this task with
available resources..." when the external book is closed. However, it
works fine when it's open.

I've tried both the countif and match function but both fail when the
external book is closed.

(Excel 2003)

Thank you for your help.
-Chuck- Hide quoted text -