Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Rech Jim Rech is offline

Default Problem with Excel 4 macros (I think)

Excel 4 macros are on Excel 4 sheets. They look just like regular
worksheets except all the formulas/macro functions on them are visible as
formulas, i.e., they start with "=". If all the sheets in your workbook are
unhidden (Format, Sheets, Unhide) then the warning could be generated by a
defined name as Peter suggested.

I frankly do not remember all the other things that cause this message.
That's why I asked for the workbook. You could clear all the contents on
all the sheets before sending it. It's unlikely that it's visible content
that is causing the problem.

I'm not aware of any online resources for Excel 4 macros.

--
Jim
"Chris Wilkinson" wrote in
|I got there too in the end with help from Peter. But could you tell me how
| find Excel 4 macros as I still get a message telling me that I have them
and
| they cannot be disabled. In fact, a pointer to an online resource would be
| nice.
|
| Chris
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Lightbulb. See if it's a workbook with its windows hidden.
Window-Unhide.

| --
| Jim
| "Chris Wilkinson" wrote in
| message ...
| | Hi Jim,
| |
| | thanks for the reply. When I said I see something, I meant that I can
see
| | that there are Forms, modules, etc in the VBE window. In the main
Excel
| | window there is nothing at all - like a proper addin. Also, I may be
wrong
| | that it was created in Excel '97. It could have be done in an earlier
| | version. Unfortunately, I cannot send it - i'd get fired! If it was
| created
| | in an earlier version, then imported in '97 and the VBA modules added,
it
| | would have both types of macro. How would I find the EXcel 4 macros.
| |
| | Thanks,
| | Chris
| | ps could you point me to a resource for using/programming in EXcel
| 4 -style
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | Is there an old pre-97 way of making a workbook an addin?
| |
| | Yes. Excel 5 and 95 add-ins were created via Make Add-in on the
Tools
| menu.
| | There was no VBE and no IsAddin property. Excel 4 macros were put on
| Excel 4
| | macro sheets. VB macros with on module sheets.
| |
| | That said, this file cannot be such an add-in because (1) you said
it
| was
| | created in Excel 97 and (2) you 'see' something. Add-ins are not
| visible in
| | Excel.
| |
| | If you send it to me I can probably tell you why you're getting the
XL4
| | macro warning.
| | --
| | Jim
| | "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
in
| | message ...
| | | hi,
| | |
| | | I have inherited a spreadsheet that was written in 'Excel 97 but
when
| | try
| | | to disable macros it says there are Excel 4 macros that cannot be
| | disabled.
| | | Where would I find them? There are VBA modules but I cannot see
any
| | | Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro statements. How are EXcel 4 Macros
| | executed?
| | |
| | | Also, the spreadsheets opens another workbook by using a defined
name
| | called
| | | Auto_open_logon which in turn calls a procedure in the other
workbook.
| (I
| | had
| | | never seen this before). The other workbook looks and behaves
exactly
| like
| | an
| | | Addin except that IsAddin is FALSE. It has one sheet which you
cannot
| see,
| | | although its visible property is set to xlVisible. If you try to
| change
| | its
| | | visible propery, you get a runtime error. (it is not protected, I
| | | checked).This workbook contains only forms and modules and an
| unviewable
| | | worksheet. Am I missing something? Is there an old pre-97 way of
| making a
| | | workbook an addin? Or is it a Excel 4 macro workbook - if that is
| | possible?
| | | It is driving me mad trying to work out why this workbook is
behaving
| the
| | way
| | | it does.