Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mr tom mr tom is offline

Default Amend SQL Query with VBA

Thank you. That's a great first step.

If I could then get it to somehow pass through a value from a cell, it would
be perfect, but this really is a huge step forward.

Cheers,

Tom.

"NickHK" wrote:

I'm not sure how MS Query will handle your complexity....

When you are in MS Query, show the SQL. Then for any value that you want to
be a parameter, replace the value with a "?", no quotes.
You will prompted for a value for each; enter any value at this stage.
Click return to Excel
Now, if you right-click on the query, you will see the Parameters... option
available. Set the values/ranges for each, as required.

NickHK

"mr tom" <mr-tom at mr-tom.co.uk.(donotspam) wrote in message
Nick,

Thanks so much for your answer.

I'm still learning this and don't know how to implement your solution.

How would I go about it? Do you know of any tips and tricks type pages
which concentrate on MS Query?

Cheers,

Tom.

"NickHK" wrote:

Given the complexity of the queries, if supported by the DB Engine, use

stored procedure and pass the dates as parameters.
Using ADO, it would be pretty straight forward.

NickHK

"mr tom" <mr-tom at mr-tom.co.uk.(donotspam) wrote in message
I've got a SQL query in an Excel spreadsheet.

Unfortunately, three lines are time dependent and need to be updated

on a
monthly basis.

The query follows:

/*************/

select Sub.AdviserDisplay,

sum(Sub.YTDExistingClients) as YTDExistingClients,

sum(Sub.YTDNewClients) as YTDNewClients,

sum(Sub.YTDAllClients) as YTDAllClients,

------------- SQL CUT ----------

order by Sub.AdviserDisplay

/***************/

Date entries such as 200701 (Jan 2007) would need to be adjusted.

As there are a lot of these and it would be easy to get wrong, I'd

like to
automate update of these.

Can I use VBA or a similar tool for this purpose.

Let's say the dates required are currently sat in cells somewhere in

the
workbook - for the sake of the example, Master!A1, B1 etc.

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions you can provide.

Cheers,

Tom.