Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Teddy[_2_] Teddy[_2_] is offline

Default Excel & Two Monitors

I have noticed that Excels' dialog boxes, message/input boxes and user
forms are not dependant on whether or not you have Excel "stretched"
across two monitors. I was wondering if a workbook could be made to
behave this way. For instance: Even though I don't have Excel
"stretched" across two windows, is there anyway to "drag" a workbook
onto the second monitor.
Microsoft Outlook works fine like this. Open an email, drag it to your
second monitor and that email behaves as if it were on only one
monitor. VERY handy to keep an open email to one side while your
tooling around other places. Click maximize and it zooms to the edges
of ONLY the second monitor. You can "stretch" Outlook across both
monitors but you don't have to in order to drag an email across both.
In Excel, if you don't "stretch" it first you can't drag a workbook
into the second monitor. It looks like it is going but it doesn't
appear and the mouse seems locked into the boundaries of the first
monitor.
2 years ago, I used a Mac with two monitors and it behaved just fine.
You did not have to "stretch" anything; just drag a workbook wherever
you wanted.
Now, I'm working in a place that requires Windows and I've acquired a
second monitor. I was looking forward to doing the old Excel tricks
that I used to do on my Mac but was disappointed to find how wonky
things were. Sure, the two monitors still add a lot of functionality
to my spreadsheet universe but I was so spoiled with the Mac and it
puzzles me that Outlook works, just like it did on a Mac but the other
Office apps don't. It's NOT elegant and the whole thing about opening
second instances of Excel? You've got to be kidding! How many instance
of Excel does it take to screw in a light bulb?

I'm hoping somebody will tell me I just have to change a setting
somewhere because this feature seems to be built into Windows. Just
try it with open folders on the desktop.
I'm not too bad at VB maybe I could do something programmatically but
I thought I would ask some of you people. I've gotten tons of good
advice just searching the Excel user groups.
I'm using Windows XP with Excel 2003.
Thanks!