Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
John M John M is offline

Default Excel Formula

Hello,

I have a large list of customer data that I would like to sort, but each
line does not contain a customer name, which is the field I want to sort by.
The spreadsheet shows a customer name on one line and then the various
invoices below it.

I am trying to write a formula that can do the following:

Move two cells to the right, and then return the first cell above this cell
that contains a name (the customer name). The data looks like this:

Customer ABC (2 cells to the right of the
Formula)
Blank cell Invoice # 1
Blank cell Invoice #2

In other words, the formula would be in the far left cell (now the blank
cell) and move 2 cells to the right and then return the "Customer ABC" cell.
But, I need a formula that I can copy down many rows of invoices that will
all return the same customer name.

I hope I have explained this well enough. Any help is much appreciated.

John M