Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Randy Harmelink Randy  Harmelink is offline

Default txt to excel data beyond 256 column restriction

You should be able to find many alternatives through a Google search.
For example, when I searched on "excel import csv 256", these were two
alternative methods listed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272729
http://apian.com/support/knowledgeba...?a=show&ID=384

On Mar 27, 6:49 am, wrote:

I am a researcher and encountered a small problem, I will be grateful
if some one can help me to solve my problem.

I have some genetic data (character) in text file. There are 1600
columns of data and 2000 rows.

When I import data in to excel its taking only 256 columns. Using help
menu I realized it can only take maximum 256 columns. But, is there a
way I can import data in to different sheets (7), each sheet taking
252 columns, where first 2 columns are ID (keys).

In order to run analysis I need this data in excel format, it doesn't
matter even if it is in different sheets.