Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Cone Jim Cone is offline

Default solver.xla problems migrating from Excel'97 to 2003

Deborah/Chris,
Since you have no help so far, I will stick my neck out here...

XL4 macros should work in XL2003. However, Microsoft is trying
to come up with some way to eliminate them in post XL12 versions
without making too many people mad.

You mention that the code works if you set a reference to the
Solver add-in. That sounds as if your code depends on the Solver
add-in being installed by the user. A new Installation of Excel
would certainly not load any add-ins.

I would think that an IT department should be able to create and run a
script that would load the Solver add-in on networked units using Excel.
Suggest you see what they have to say.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Deborah Digby"

wrote in message
hi,
at work, we are currently upgrading from Win200 to XP and from Excel '97 to
Excel 2003. We have hundreds/thousands of spreadsheets that include in the
VBA projects code like:

Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro "Solver.xla..."

This no longer works in Excel 2003. It does not produce an error, but seems
to do nothing. The code is easy to rewrite by adding a reference to
solver.xla and calling the functions as normal in VBA. The problem is that I
would have to replace the code in all the hundreds/thousands of scientific
spreadsheets that have already been created. I need to have a solid credible
reason to tell my boss why I am going to need a lot more time to do my part
of the migration, more than just something like "I think Microsoft have
stopped supporting the old macro language". I need to KNOW. And that was
just a guess anyway. Does anyone know why the above code does not work in
Excel 2003, while it is fine in Excel'97? Also, is there a update/patch
available from Microsoft to fix the problem? Basically, is there any way I
can avoid having to rewrite the code?

Thanks in advance,
Chris