Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Default Looking for a quick way.

Dave;

Thanks very much, worked like a charm. You don't know how many bottles of
wine you saved me going through if I would have had to do in manually. <g

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
After I posted, I realized that going cell by cell would be a waste if
most
cells don't have parentheses in them.

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim myRng As Range
Dim myCell As Range
Dim StartPos As Long
Dim LastPos As Long
Dim FoundCell As Range
Dim FirstAddress As String
Dim AllFoundCells As Range

Set myRng = Selection

With myRng
Set FoundCell = .Find(what:="(", _
LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, _
after:=.Cells(.Cells.Count))

If FoundCell Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Nothing to fix"
Else
Set AllFoundCells = FoundCell
FirstAddress = FoundCell.Address
Do
If AllFoundCells Is Nothing Then
Set AllFoundCells = FoundCell
Else
Set AllFoundCells = Union(FoundCell, AllFoundCells)
End If
Set FoundCell = .FindNext(FoundCell)

If FoundCell.Address = FirstAddress Then
Exit Do
End If
Loop

For Each myCell In AllFoundCells.Cells
StartPos = InStr(1, myCell.Value, "(", vbTextCompare)
LastPos = InStr(1, myCell.Value, ")", vbTextCompare)

If LastPos 0 Then
If StartPos < LastPos Then
With myCell.Characters(Start:=StartPos, _
Length:=LastPos - StartPos + 1)
.Font.FontStyle = "Italic"
End With
Next myCell

End If

End With

End Sub

Michael Koerner wrote:

I have roughly 1200 records that I need to change (whatever is here)
including the brackets to italic Any way to do it with a quick macro or
is
it going to be a one-at-a-time effort.

--

Regards