Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
artisdepartis artisdepartis is offline

Default Object Error: what am i doing wrong??

Susan, im giving up on the s (This time they were in my code for
sure when i copied it to GoogleGroups... ;-)

You are right, the error occurs in this bit:
Workbooks("overview_f.xls").Sheets("SPAI").Range(C ells(FoundCell.Row,
2), Cells(FoundCell.Row, 127)).Value _
= Workbooks(sFileNameResults).Sheets("SPAI").rLastSp litsPerAI.Value

I checked and the setting of FoundCell works fine, even though i dont
completely get why... I had the same thoughts as you on that, but this
works... so that is okay enough, even though i dont fully understand
it... (Timepressure :S)
This FoundCell basically is the Row on which I want to insert my
results in my overview file. The reason i want to do it like this, is
I want to avoid the Clipboard. (Our system is VERY slow).

To give you an idea:
copying it via
Workbooks(sFileNameResults).Sheets("SPLITS PER AI").Range(Cells(3, 1),
Cells(3, LSPAI)).Select
Selection.Copy

and pasting it via
FoundCell.Offset(0, 1).Select
ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

Does work, but since i need to do these with more data this becomes
very code and memory inefficient...

Thx for thinking along ^^

On Mar 23, 2:49 pm, "Susan" wrote:
LOL you still forgot the 's!

but, since you mentioned the selects & the pasting, it gives me a
better idea where to look......... (in this area, i believe):

Sheets("SPAI").Select

Set FoundCell = Range("A1:A800").Find _
(What:=DateValue(sDateExtract), LookIn:=xlFormulas)
If FoundCell < "" Then
Workbooks("overview_f.xls").Sheets("SPAI").Range(C ells(FoundCell.Row,
2), Cells(FoundCell.Row, 127)).Value _
= Workbooks(sFileNameResults).Sheets("SPAI").rLastSp litsPerAI.Value

Find (What:=DateValue(sDateExtract)

you don't have DateValue dimmed as a variable......
although i'm thinking perhaps that's a VBA object or something?
if not, then you need to declare that.
also, you're looking for sDateExtract in the formulas...
try values?

also, i don't see where you're copying or pasting anything.....
you find this datevalue, & then you tell a range in worksheet
"overview" that it's value should come from a range in another
worksheet.

see, trial & error!
susan

On Mar 23, 9:31 am, "artisdepartis" wrote:

Susan, thx for pointing out my omission of the :|

The reasons I don't Dim lFileDate as Date is the trouble I hate with
working with dates in Excel. (Some of my collegues use the European,
others the American system. Besides... I use the string in my SaveAs
macro.
I do not know how that darn 0 got there either... -_-

Let me repost my code, with the I can select the ranges mentioned
in between just fine, but i cant copy paste or Range.Value =
Range .Value

Sub Write_Results()

Dim sDateExtract As String
Dim FoundCell As Range
Dim lFiledate As Long
Dim rLastSplitsPerAI As Range
Dim LSPAI As Long
Dim sFileNameResults As String

If lFiledate = 0 Then
lFiledate = InputBox("Enter date of reportation. (yyyymmdd)")
MsgBox "You will create the SE Report for " & lFiledate
Else
End If

sFileNameResults = "SE statistiek " & lFiledate & ".xls"
LSPAI = 126
Set rLastSplitsPerAI = Range(Cells(3, 1), Cells(3, LSPAI))
sDateExtract = Mid(lFiledate, 5, 2) & "/" & Right(lFiledate, 2) & "/"
& Left(lFiledate, 4)
MsgBox sDateExtract
Windows("overview_f.xls").Activate
Sheets("SPAI").Select

Set FoundCell = Range("A1:A800").Find _
(What:=DateValue(sDateExtract), LookIn:=xlFormulas)
If FoundCell < "" Then

Workbooks("overview_f.xls").Sheets("SPAI").Range(C ells(FoundCell.Row,
2), Cells(FoundCell.Row, 127)).Value _
= Workbooks(sFileNameResults).Sheets("SPAI").rLastSp litsPerAI.Value

Else
MsgBox "Oops... something went wrong, check things manually plz."

On Mar 23, 1:59 pm, "Susan" wrote:

firstly, unless i'm blind i didn't find any 's. :) so i don't|
know where it's erroring.

a first thought is shouldn't Dim lFiledate As Long be Dim IFiledate as
Date?

0 If lFiledate = 0 Then why is the first zero there? that would make it error.

i have some possible ideas about sDateExtract but i'm not sure so i'll
keep my mouth shut for now about those..... :)
hope this helps
susan
(ps - & i learn most of my vba thru trial & error, too!)

On Mar 23, 8:34 am, "artisdepartis" wrote:

Dear Experts, in my quest to explore macro's I am currently lost. I
learn mostly by creative copy pasting and a lot of trail and
error... ;-) However, i am... stuck. Is there anyone who can review my
code and tell me why I get an error telling me the 'Object does not
support the property or method'. The lines generating this error have
been put between
(I copied this from a sheet where i use this also and it does work!)

Sub Write_Results()

Dim sDateExtract As String
Dim FoundCell As Range
Dim lFiledate As Long

[...]