Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
nandibhatla nandibhatla is offline

Default switching between workbooks not allowed in Excel

Hi,

I am using a VB Script to show a Bar Graph in our GUI through excel
workbook.

The call I am using in VB Script to create Excel Object is:
set ExcelObject = GetObject("", "Excel.Application")
Its working well when there is no Excel instance running previously.

If there is an existing excel sheet already open (opened manually and
unrelated to the GUI & VB Script), the GUI's Excel is taking control
of the Excel and I am unable to switch back to the Excel Sheet which
is opened manually. I can only switch to the previously running Excel
sheet only when I minimize the excel sheet in the GUI.

Could someone help me to overcome this or is this intended if so, any
justification for this ?

Steps which lead to a problem:
1. launch Excel manually from start - run - excel.exe
2. launch Excel in the my own GUI with the VBScript which is using
GetObject() call

At this point, I am not able to switch to the Excel instance which is
opened in step 1.

Thanks in advance,
Ravi Nandibhatla.