Simon Letten

The COUNTA function will tell you how many non-empty rows there are but you
need to wrap that in something that will give a valid range, e.g.
SUM(INDIRECT("L2:L"&COUNTA(L:L)))

--
HTH

Simon

"confused" wrote:

Hi,

how do I refer to a column when the number of rows may change dynamically?
e.g column A with 12 rows of data would be a1:A12, with dynamic number of
rows it would be A1:A??

I am using SumProduct to add up those rows which meet certain conditions.
But the number of rows in the source area changes, so how can I get my
sumproduct formula to work as the number of rows changes?
eg my pseudo code is:

=SUMPRODUCT((L2:L"number of rows" = "LDC")*(C2:C"number of rows"))

I know that COUNTA can be used to return the number of non empty rows but
cant work out the syntax to use this, e.g. this is wrong:
=SUMPRODUCT(L2:LCOUNTA(L:L)= "LDC")*(C2:LCOUNTA(L:L))

thanks to anyone who can help or advise!