ChrisK

To get my link I wither hit the "=" or the "+" and find the cell I want to
link to. If I use an external file it will put the absolute reference in
there automatically. Then if I want to copy that link down I have to remove
the absolute reference for each link. I'm just looking for a shortcut. Thanks

"RagDyer" wrote:

*Exactly* how are you creating your link?

= sign and navigating?

Copy & Paste Spec - Link?

How?

RD

"ChrisK" wrote in message

Thanks David for the reply - but I'm not sure this answers my question.

For example if I link to another worksheet (+2006 Budget Worksheet -
Marketing.xls]2006 MONTHLY'!$C$24) It automatically puts the "$" absolute
reference in there. If I have many links and I want to copy it down, I

have
to remove the "$" which can take a lot of time given the amount of files I

am
linking to .

Is there a way to link an external file without getting the "$" symbol?

Thanks

"David Billigmeier" wrote:

You need that reference or else Excel won't know where to link to.

There is one option you could use, which is to copy the tab from the
external sheet into your current one. To do that, make sure both

worksheets
are open, go to the workbook with the tab you want to copy, right click

on
it, and select "Move or Copy". Then, choose the worksheet you want to

copy
the tab to and make sure "Create a Copy" is selected.

Hope that helps

David Billigmeier

"ChrisK" wrote:

Everytime I link an cell to another workbook, it automatically puts in

an
absolute reference. Is there a setting I can change so I do not have

absolute
references appear. This does not happen when you link a cell within

the same
sheet only external worksheets.

Thanks