Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Doug Glancy[_7_] Doug Glancy[_7_] is offline

Default Is filepath valid?

Thanks to you and Rob for this.

Doug

"NickHK" wrote in message
Doug,
One way is with GetAttr(), as posted by RBS in this thread.
Dir also places a <lock on that folder, so it cannot be deleted, with
e.g.
RmDir.

NickHK

"Doug Glancy" wrote in message
NickHK,

I didn't know that. How would you do it?

Doug

"NickHK" wrote in message
Personally, I would go with a non-Dir solution.
Using Dir sets the CurDir to that location. Whilst not a major problem,

it
may impact your code in unexpected ways; calling GetOpenFilename will

then
point to that last location, which is probably meaningless to the user.

NickHK

"Rookie_User" wrote in message
This worked GREAT - thank you.

"Mike" wrote:

You need a function. Open VB editor (ALT + F11) insert a new module

and
paste
this code in:

Public Function Filethere(strFullPath As String) As Boolean
If Not Dir(strFullPath, vbDirectory) = vbNullString Then

Filethere
=
True
End Function

in b1 next to your filepath in a1 type =filethere(a1)
drag down as required.
It will return true if the path is valid or false.

Will that do?

Mike

"Rookie_User" wrote:

I have a column that contains a file path with the file at the

end -
all
contained in the cell. There are about 150 rows. I would like to
put
something in column be that says - yes the path and file are truly
there or
No it is invalid. I have searched multiple places and have not

found
anything pointing to how to do this?