Bob Phillips

That is going to be difficult, even with VBA.

--

HTH

RP

"Did" wrote in message
Think there was a cross over in the posting, this only works if the sting

of
characters I want is the first thing in the cell (which sometimes it is),

would love to be able for it to find and extract no matter where it is in

the
field, as long as it is 2 letters, 6 numbers and a single letter.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Do you want to break it down into component part? If so then use

B2: =IF(A2<"",LEFT(A2,2),"")
C2: =IF(A2<"",MID(A2,3,6),"")
D2: =IF(A2<"",RIGHT(A2,1),"")

and copy down

--

HTH

RP

"Did" wrote in message
I have some large cells with various data, some (not all) contain a

unique
string of charaters which I would like to extract to another cell. The

string
of characters is two alphanumerical then six numerical then one
alphanumerical. For those in the UK, like National Insurance numbers.

Im
not
very good at VB, so would prefer a formula in a cell but beggers can't

be
chosers. Thanks for any assistance.