Jim Rech

I understand you to be saying that the Options menu is there but it just
doesn't work to show the Options dialog,

It might be a corrupted registry entry which you'd have to fix by running
the REGEDIT program from Start-Run (with Excel closed).

Navigate to this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

and then select each of the 5 items in turn in the right pane that begin
with "Options" and rename them (like Options3 to Options3XX). F2 is a
shortcut for editing a name.

After all 5 are renamed start Excel and see if it helped.

--
Jim