Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default Table lookup

Thank you for thefeedback.

"Mats Samson" wrote:

Thanks Toppers,
it worked fine, even looking up in the currency table in an external file.
Cheers
Mats

"Toppers" wrote:

Use INDEX/MATCH to give intersection of Month and Currency

=INDEX($B$2:$M$10,MATCH($J$2,$A$2:$A$10,0),MATCH($ J$1,$B$1:$M$1,0))

j2=Currency Code
J1=Date
b2:M10 contain currency rates

HTH

"Mats Samson" wrote:

Ive a currency table with historical exchange rates for the year.
The months, Jan, Feb, Mar€¦. are column labels and the currencies
CZK, DKK, EUR, HUF€¦(sorted) are row labels and the different monthly
exchange rate in the intersections.
Id like to find the rate for EUR in April but VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP
only gives me a REF error. It seems that it doesnt accept other
that 1, 2 ,3, 4€¦. as column labels in Vlookup or as row labels in HLookup.
Strange, I think Ive played with these two ones before and it worked OK.