chazpot

Default Excel help

I have a report I need to make which has turned out to be quite
complicated. i need to use some form of lookup function to find info
from one worksheet and place it in another, but the names I need to
reference are slightly different on both sheets as they have come from
different sources and have different abbreviations (hope this makes
sense so far!). When i use an exact lookup it returns N/A, and when i
use a 'best result' lookup it returns the closest, but usually wrong
answer. Is there a way of looking up the first few letters in a string
of text?

Any ideas appreciated!

--
chazpot