Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Comparing text?

And I don't see an earlier post on this topic from you - but I know I
replied to such a question - maybe it wasn't you.

Levenshtein Distance Algorithm for string matching
http://www.merriampark.com/ld.htm (vb code implementation)

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Feb 19, 4:05 pm, Tom Ogilvy
wrote:
Why do you say no success. I answered your question with a good
reference to
code that will do it.

Tom Ogilvy

" wrote:
On Feb 19, 11:38 am, Madhan wrote:
Hi, yes it is possible. You can do the following,
1. Find the number of characters in one cell and assume that it is
100%
2. Check character-by-character the exactness of characters in both
the
cells and count the match
3. Calculate % from the count of matched characters

" wrote:
I asked this question in a roundabout way last week with no
success.

Basically, is it possible to compare text of one cell to another
cell
to produce a % of correctness. It doesn't have to be exact as I am
only using it to set up a French revision spreadsheet.

I know it's a tricky one but any help would be great. Over to the
experts!

Thanks

Tony- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Madhan,
To be honest I am not sure how to do this and wouldn't know where to
start (my Excel knowledge is very limited) - can you help?

Thanks
Tony- Hide quoted text -

Hi Tom,
Was your reply meant for me...I don't see any posting from you

Regards
Tony