Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Eric[_20_] Eric[_20_] is offline

Default Computer Name with VBA

Thank you Chip.

Eric

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
Try the following:

Public Declare Function GetComputerName Lib "kernel32" _
Alias "GetComputerNameA" ( _
ByVal lpBuffer As String, _
nSize As Long) As Long

Sub CompNameToHeaderFooter()
Dim CompName As String
Dim L As Long
CompName = String$(260, vbNullChar)
L = Len(CompName)
GetComputerName CompName, L
CompName = Left(CompName, L)
ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = CompName
ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterFooter = CompName

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email address is on the web site)

"Akash" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 22, 11:15 am, dkinn wrote:
Hi Eric

You didn't mention what version of Excel you were using but here is a 32
bit
version that works under most recent version, I haven't tried it under
2007
or Vista but it works under XP

Open a standard module and paste the following code

Declare Function GetComputerName Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetComputerNameA"
(ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long

Sub Get_Computer_Name_Ex()
Dim Comp_Name_B As String * 25
'this function seems to work differntly than most, it doesn't return
the
number of char's placed in the buffer
Ret = GetComputerName(Comp_Name_B, Len(Comp_Name_B))
'but the string is always ended with a null terminated string so we
can
use the Chr(0) function to find the end
Comp_Name = Left(Comp_Name_B, InStr(Comp_Name_B, Chr(0)))
'and return only the computer name
MsgBox Comp_Name
End Sub

hope this helps

David

"Eric" wrote:
Hello,

I would like my macro to check the name of the computer before
running.
How can I retrieve the computer name value through a macro?

Thank you.

Eric

its not working Eric, I want to get it print on my Excel Header &
Footer

hws would i do the same