DB16

thats not really how I have it set up but thank you for the suggestion. I
figured out he first question I just used two sumif's. The "running" total I
have is it the top of the and spans the width of all the columns.
Kind of looks like this:

running total: =sumif(credits column has x)-sumif(debits column has x)

| Expenditure by Category|
| description | category | credits | debits | amount | | category |
=sumif() |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | | |
| (Pie Chart of Expenses)

Question 2 is the only one I can't figure out now

2. when showing each expenditrue by category is there a way to only have it
add together the values that have the debit column checked? (as it is now I
have a sumif which checks the category column for a value ex. gas, food, etc.
but I can't figure out how to have it also check the debit column)

thanks for any help you all can provide