Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mikeolson mikeolson is offline

Default text file from url referring site

I have a macro that will import data from a text file on my website. The
problem is this: if I use the name of the website in the macro
www.mywebsite.com/file.txt it won't get the update since the website is
actually at: home.rr.com/smiths/file.txt. The reason I want to be able to
use the www.mywebsite.com is my website may not always be hosted on
home.rr.com. I have in the macro a url string that gets the first part from
a cell in the worksheet (populated by the url update so I can change where it
looks for the txt file), again, it all works fine if I put home.rr.com/smiths
for example. My guess is when the macro looks for www.mywebsite.com/file.txt
and since via a web-browser it refers it to the site hosting it
home.rr.com/smiths/file.txt, that's where the macro stops? How can I get
through this? Again, I want this functionality since my site may change
locations, but the name will always be the same. the website names I used
here are not the actual names but it gives the scenerio. Any input is
appreciated.

Mike