Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Text to Row automation

Still hard to see what you want. Send a workbook with a clear explanation to
me at the address below.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"DianeM" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I have no experience in Excel VBA (except for modifying a few recorded
macros), but am faced with a very complicated data clean-up project
which will take forever unless I can automate it.

My original data looks like this:
DocumentNumber Companies Date
Type Description
12 CoA, CoB
1/1/07 Type1 Doc12description
15 CoA
12/15/06 Type2 Doc15description
26 CoB, CoC,CoD,CoE 12/12/06
Type1 Doc26description

I need my final spreadsheet to look like this:
DocumentNumber Companies Date
Type Description
12 CoA
1/1/07 Type1 Doc12description
12 CoB
1/1/07 Type1 Doc12description
15 CoA
12/15/06 Type2 Doc15description
26 CoB
12/12/06 Type1 Doc26description
26 CoC
12/12/06 Type1 Doc26description
26 CoD
12/12/06 Type1 Doc26description
26 CoE
12/12/06 Type1 Doc26description

I was thinking that if I added a column indicating the number of items
in the column B for each row, I could somehow set a variable to that
number, add the appropriate number of rows, copy the data that's the
same on each row, and then somehow parse the data from column B into
each of the separate rows. But I have no idea how to go about this in
Excel ... my only experience with VBA (and that's not much) is in
Access.

I have written some macros to automate bits of this, but I still have
to step through each row and count the item numbers myself. It's
better than doing it by hand, but I'm thinking there must be a way I
can run the whole worksheet at one time.

Any pointers?