Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
wbntravis wbntravis is offline

Default Changing the properties of a Shape/ AutoShape within a cell

HEY NICK
You did it! When I first ran it I thought it was not working.
Only to find it created these real tiny little trees across
the second row. I was estatic. Nick, know that through
this process I have learned a lot and there is much to experiment
on... so I learn even more. A mere thank you is not enough
for all your work. I do thank you... and blessings to your family.

Know from what you taught me, I am able to test and experiment
with other things and I will learn at a faster rate!

Thanks again
Travis

"NickHK" wrote:

Yesterday, that code worked for me, but today I get that same error. OK, try
this, with the more modern Shapes collection:

Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
Dim NewTree As Shape
Dim i As Long

Const TREEFILE As String = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\MEDIA\OFFICE11\AUTOSHAP\BD18253_.wmf"

For i = 1 To 10
Set NewTree = ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddPicture(TREEFILE, False, True, 10,
10, 10, 10)

With NewTree
.Left = Cells(10, i * 2).Left
.Name = "Tree_" & i
End With
Next

End Sub

NickHK

"wbntravis" wrote in message
Nick!
We are almost there!
You have been a wonderful help. Using a picture was correct and this
routine I will reuse over and over again as what I am making - involves
pictures.

The sub worked fine for one tree before the compiler gave me an error 13
type mismatch. Please see where I remarked the code.

Sub createTrees()

Dim NewTree As Picture
Dim i As Long

'my folder string.... Nick... You were right my folder was different.
Const TREEFILE As String = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\MEDIA\OFFICE11\AUTOSHAP\BD18253_.wmf"

For i = 1 To 10
Set NewTree = ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert(TREEFILE)
'****** The above line is where I get the type mismatch error 13

With NewTree
.Left = Cells(10, i * 2).Left
.Name = "Tree_" & i
End With
Next

**** Like I said it worked fine to create 1 tree. The tree image is up
on my screen. After the first tree it goes into the type mismatch error.

"NickHK" wrote:

I just used that shape, as I didn't waht you meant by "tree". However,

try
this. You may have to change the path depending on you

installation/version
of Office.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim NewTree As Picture
Dim i As Long

Const TREEFILE As String = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
XP\media\office10\AutoShap\BD18253_.wmf"

For i = 1 To 10
Set NewTree = ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert(TREEFILE)
With NewTree
.Left = Cells(10, i * 2).Left
.Name = "Tree_" & i
End With
Next
End Sub

NickHK

"wbntravis" wrote in message
continued: hit the wrong key again
I looked up
"msoShapeFlowchartPredefinedProcess" to see what that joy was all

about
but neither online of offline help wanted to give me anything.

Trust me, we I get this down I will name a tree after you.
Please dont roll your eyes- haha

wbnTravis

"wbntravis" wrote:

You are so close! That code produced 10 rectangles here with two
smaller
rectangles off to one side for each object that was produced above

the
worksheet. (which made ugly looking trees )
There were 10 of these ufos (unitendified flying objects ) to

confirm
the
for i = 10

so I did a little digging and
found a tree was an autoshape (not sure if that makes a difference)
and the name according to excel is BD18235.wmf (not sure if that

makes
a difference. Your coding is interesting and the minute I saw it I
almost
fell over to see the .name = Tree & i could do it.

I looked up
"NickHK" wrote:

Something like this ?

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim NewTree As Shape
Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To 10
Set NewTree =
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape(msoShapeFlowchartPrede finedProcess, 20

*
i,
202.5, 174.75, 84.75)
With NewTree
.Name = "Tree_" & i
End With
Next
End Sub

NickHK

"wbntravis" wrote in message
Thanks Nick ! That helped show of some of the properties!
( I did not think of it because I had a macro on the tree shape
already.)

Since I have more than one tree shape i was kinda looking for a

name
property... so I could move different "name"d trees from one

cell to
another
based
on the players movement.

Here is how 2003 Excel indicates I selected the tree.

"wbntravis" wrote:

I am so new I squeek
I need to put shapes/ autoshapes and small photos in a cell.

Like
cell( B:2)
How does one control the autoshape or photo properites using

VBA?