Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Geroge Geroge is offline

Default Alternate startup file location

This is very interesting and the behaviour in using the Word Template
location is different to using the XLSTART folder. The Word Template folder
displays the Excel extension and the XLSTART folder does not.

This may be the basis of my issue that the Templates in the XLSTART folder
will not open but do if they are in the Word Template folder. (per "Template
fails to Open" Thread)

"Stephen Bullen" wrote:

Hi Jac,

The information you provide about the use of the "Alternate file location"
is quite informative. I wander why I could not find that information in Excel
Help.

I couldn't possibly comment <g

What I understand from your comment is that it should be used to store
addins for common use. Addins are by nature only VBA code and therefore are
small in size. But as far as I know, this file location is not the place to
store templates, particularly if they are big (or huge) and numerous...

Correct

Templates should be stored in a network folder that can to be set from Word:
Tools|Options|File location Tab|Workgroup templates (not the General Tab).

Correct again.

When I first read Dave's comment on how to set a workgroup template in Word,
I did not understand that it would set Excel's templates folder.

I doesn't necessarily 'set' Excel's templates folder. It's more that there are a
number of folders that Excel looks in for templates and that is one of them

You opened
my eyes on that point. I'm glad this happened because it provided the
community with your very pertinent comment on the "Alternate file location"
and a very informative supplement on the workgroup template brought by Dave.

Thank you very much to both of you.

You're welcome; that's why we're here.

Regards

Stephen Bullen