Sandy Mann

Note that the SUM function in your formula is not necessary.
=C2-B2 will work just as well.

Assuming that when you say 8 hours you mean 8 hours (ie start work at 8am
and work until 4:30pm which is 8 1/2hours, so you are intitled to 1 hour
unpaid dinner break. Which means that you work 7 1/2 hours and have 1 hour
dinner), then if you are using real numbers and not Excel times

=C2-C1-(C2-C18) will give you what you want. The -(C2-C18) will produce a
TRUE/FALSE Boolean which because it is subtracted, Excel will convert to a 1
for TRUE or 0 for FALSE.

If you are using Excel times (8:00, 17:00 etc) then

=(C2-C1)-((C2-C11/3)/24)

Excel times are fractions of (one) day so 8 hours is one day divided by 3
thus 1/3. This will again produce a TRUE/FALSE Boolean which will, when it
is converted to a number, need to be divided by 24 (hours in a day) to give
the correct 1 hour (1:00) subtraction.

If you really meant 9 hours, (ie 8 hours actual work + 1 hour dinner) then
use 0.375 (9/24) instead of the 1/3

If you meant 8 hours OR more then use = in place of simply in the formula

--
HTH

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk
"ste997" wrote in message
I have done a excel work sheet to work out my wage but I am just stuck on
one
thing. When I work longer than 8 hours I get an hours dinner brake unpaid.
I'm know wanting to know if there is a formula that works it out. In Cell
B2
I have the time I started and in C2 the time I finish. In cell D2 I have
the
formula =SUM(C2)-(B2) that equals the total amount off hours I work. Well
now
I want it to automatically take 1 off if the hours are 8 or over 8.