Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Keith Keith is offline

Default Named range scope question (using application.match)

Excellent- thank you Tom!!

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
sVal = Sheet11.Range("B5").Value
JobVal = Application.Match(sVal, Range("Position"), 0)

Range("Position") in a sheet module is equivalent to

me.Range("Position")

since the named range position isn't in that sheet, you get an error.

Try
Application.Range("Position")

instead. Or if that doesn't work then try

thisworkbook.names("Position").ReferstoRange

Tom Ogilvy

"Keith" wrote:

XL2003, sheet names are sheet codenames not the tab names.

I have a named range on Sheet1 called "Positions"

The following code in a code module returns the correct match, and
evaluates
to a value of 3
sVal = Sheet11.Range("B5").Value
JobVal = Application.Match(sVal, Range("Position"), 0)

The /exact/ same code, in a sub behind Sheet11 returns a 1004 runtime
error.
sVal = Sheet11.Range("B5").Value
JobVal = Application.Match(sVal, Range("Position"), 0) '<-- crashes here

sVal in both cases pulls the correct value. The error occurs when trying
calculate the the JobVal value.

Is there some reason or rule that says a sheet can't use
application.match
on a named range from a different sheet? I use named ranges sometimes for
data validation lists on other sheets, so I'd think it should be ok, but
can't figure out why this isn't working... or an appropriate workaround.

I suppose I could call a sub in a module and put this value in a public
variable, but I'd like to understand why it doesn't work in the first
place!

Thank you,
Keith