Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Unger Dave Unger is offline

Default Can't open workbook

Hi,

I've been pulling my hair out for the last couple of days over this
one, hopefully someone can help me out. - running Excel 97.

My routine establishes some temporary links to other workbooks (about
100), extracts a small amount of data, generates a simple report then
erases all the links. So, at the end of the routine, all that remains
is 1 sheet with 6 cells containing data.

The problem starts if I run this routine 3 or 4 times in succession,
and save it, and close. The file size increases by about 4K. If I
open it again, then save without running the macro, it drops back to
it's original size, about 60k.

So during the normal process of development, a few cycles of running
the macro, saving and closing - all at once I can't open the file, and
get an error message from Excel "This program has performed an illegal
operation and will be shut down". Nothing I do permits me to open
that file again, which now has increased to 72k.

I have a suspicion that it has something to do with those links, even
though I'm clearing them at the end of the routine. Perhaps clearing
the cells that contain the links isn't sufficient, and I should be
taking an additional step. Thanks for any help on this,

Regards,

Dave