Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gary Keramidas Gary Keramidas is offline

Default Last 4 digits of SSN

don't know exactly what you want to do, only have part of the entry visible?

maybe store the ssn in a hidden worksheet and use the formula to show the last 4
in A1.

don't know what you're going to do with the data after it's entered, though.
--

Gary

"Matt" wrote in message
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm sorry, but I did not explain the situation
properly. I don't want to grab the last 4 digits from another cell, but have
the user put their social security number into cell A1 and when they press
Enter, it only displays the last 4 digits that they entered. I hope this is
a better explanation. Thanks.

"WLMPilot" wrote:

Lets use A1 as the cell with the SSN, and B1 for the last four digits. I am
assuming that you are not doing any type of calculation with this, but just
need the last four.

Format the SSN cell(s) (A1) as SPECIAL SSN.
In B1, type =RIGHT(A1,4)

I did not format B1. It defaults to GENERAL and I tried it with a zero as
the first digit of the last four numbers and it worked.

Hope this works,
Les

"Matt" wrote:

Is there a way to have the user input their whole social security number
and
have Excel only display the last 4 digits of their number? Can I do this
as
a cell format or will this have to be done with a script. I tried the data
validation with text length equal to 4, but if the last 4 digits start with
zero (0123), it gives an error because it doesn't recognize the zero as a
digit. I'm guessing there has to be a script attached to that cell that
will
grab the last 4 digits. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.