brhicks

Default Auto date changing in Excel is maddening

You are not alone. I have suffered this maddening behavior for years,
through many versions of Excel. I set the formatting for my time
values, but when I edit the value and hit return, the formatting
reverts to some long format. For years I have been pasting format from
another cell to get the formatting back.

There is no earthly reason why Excel should change the formatting that
you explicitly applied to a cell when you edit the value in that cell.
But that is what it does.

No, the formatting in Control Panel -- Regional Options is not the
formatting it reverts to. I checked. All I want is time: e.g.,
"12:15" and what it gives me after I edit is "12/2/2004 12:15". The
date is unneccessary clutter in my application and would force me to
use stupid wide columns.

So here's another user who would be overjoyed if someone found a
solution!!
- Brian

--
brhicks