Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Fred Ernst[_2_] Fred Ernst[_2_] is offline

Default Updating Calculations

Thank you Mr. Ogilvy. I will give these a shot.

From what I can tell the Workbook calculates and updates the Charts when:

1) a cell that is used by a formula in the Workbook is changed manually
2) Activate a Sheet in the Workbook by clicking on and/or changing Sheets in
the Workbook
3) Clicking on the Workbook when in tile mode with other Workbooks open.

#3 could just be another Sheet Activate event I guess.

Ideally, I would like to change the inputs to the Chart Workbooks by using
links to the "Summary" Workbook and see the results of certain source cells
in the Chart Workbooks in the destination "Summary" Workbook. I tried this
but the Chart Workbooks were not updating even though the input cell on the
Chart Workbook that was linked to the "Summary" Workbook changed after
changing the source cell in the "Summary" Workbook..

I'm really just using the Chart Workbooks for calculation engines and
wanting to use the "Summary" workbook to change input to the Chart Workbooks
and see the results.

Lastly, it really would be nice if I didn't have to have all of these Chart
Workbooks open. Is there anyway to use them as calculation engines in the
same directory, but Closed?

Thanks,
Fred

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Possibly

Application.CalculateFullRebuild

or

Application.CalculateFull

Your a little vauge about what triggers your macros. If it is a
workbook_activate event then

You might need to do

for each bk in Workbooks
if lcase(bk.Name) < "summary.xls" then
bk.Activate
Activesheet.Range("A1").Select
end if
next
workbooks("Summary.xls").Select

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Fred Ernst" wrote:

I'm using a Workbook that has macros in it for updating Charts when input
and calculations change. I do not have access to the code for the
Workbook.

I have multiple instances with different filenames of this Workbook open
in
tile mode, with links in both directions to another "Summary"
Workbook.

The instances of the Workbook with the Chart macros won't update until I
click individually on them. So I need to click on each one of them to
update
the "Summary" Workbook properly.

Is there a procedure I can use to recalculate all of the instances of the
Workbooks with the Chart macros at the same time?

Thanks,
Fred