Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Greg Wilson Greg Wilson is offline

Default How did he do this?

And I knew better damn it. I have a project that does this already. Don't
know why I posted that. Oops...

Greg

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Actually, if you give that range on another sheet a nice name, you can use it.

Debra Dalgleish explains it he
http://contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html#Dropdown

And Debra explains how to use other workbooks:
http://contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html

Greg Wilson wrote:

These are probably Data Validation dropdowns. They don't support referencing
to othere worksheets or workbooks however. But you can have a range of helper
cells on your worksheet that link to the other workbook using formulas that
reference the required cells.

Example set up:
1. Enter a formula that references the other workbook in the first helper
cell. For example: ='[My Time Sheet.xls]Data'!A1 (note the apostrophes)
2. Drag the formula down for the required number of cells. It should
autofill to reference A1, A2, A3... of the other wb and the helper cells
should then display the values from the other wb (see note)
3. Now select the cells that you want to contain the dropdowns
4. Select Data Validation... Settings tab
5. Select "List" from the "Allow" dropdown window
6. Ensure that the "In-cell dropdown" checkbox is checked
7. Click inside the "Source" window and then select the helper cell range
8. See the Input Message and Error Alert tabs for optional messages when
you select the cell and if/when an error occurs
9. Click the OK button
10. Each of the cells should display a dropdown when selected that lists
the helper cell range values

Note: This assumes the cells in the other wb are listed vertically and are
contiguous. Else, you will have to list them individually or can similarly
create a helper cell range in the other wb that is contiguous and in a column.

Regards,
Greg

"Len B" wrote:

In searching through the posts in this group for a solution to my problem,
I discovered the forms toolbar and I suspect that part of my solution may
involve that. Can anyone point me to a resource to find more about it.

The real question:
I have to invent a workbook to interface with an
existing workbook and enter data into it so I tried to
understand what the author has done. The sheet in
question has the first 2 columns (ignoring header rows)
populated with invisible combo boxes. They remain
invisible until selected when the down arrow appears
and becomes active. Clicking DnArrow shows data.

As I am going to stuff data in these cells from the
new workbook, I need to make sure its on the list.
In trying to look at combo properties I can't.

Here is what I did:
I made the control toolbox visible, went to design
mode, selected a combo and asked for properties.
I get the properties of the sheet.

What is going on?

--

Dave Peterson