Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Alan[_2_] Alan[_2_] is offline

Default how do I delete all text before or after a symbol?

Thanks John,

I need to read up on LEN.

Alan

"John Bundy" (remove) wrote in message
The left is easy and straightforward, right is a little tougher, you need
subtract the length
=RIGHT(A16,LEN(A16)-FIND(" ",A16))
this finds the blank before the number, or you could do this
=RIGHT(A16,LEN(A16)-FIND(":",A16))

--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"Alan" wrote:

Hello John,

After reading your message, I decided to try your code as a replacement
for
my REPLACE code. I am separating "QUANTITY: X". X is a variable integer
between 1 and 100. My goal is to extract the quantity as a number. When I
try your code, column B results in "QUANTITY:" as expected. Column C
results
in:

when X =
1-9: ANTITY: X
10-99: NTITY: X
100: TITY: X

I don't understand the results I am getting and was wondering if you
might
possibly know. Is the colon the problem? I tried a space between the
quotes
and that gave even more unexpected results.

I would appreciate your feedback,

Thanks,

Alan

"John Bundy" (remove) wrote in message
If info is in column A
column B =LEFT(A1,FIND("=",A1))
column C =RIGHT(A1,FIND("=",A1))
--
-John Northwest11
Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know

"Tony" wrote:

I have columns populated as follows:
variable length characters = variable length characters
for example,
TVPosPctSP = 0.00 percent
I want to copy the entire column,
then in the 1st column delete all of the characters in each cell that
precede the equal sign,
and in the second column delete all of the characters in each cell
that
follow the equal sign. (and I can include the equal sign in one of
those
passes)
is there a wildcard character that identifies everything before an
associated parameter, such as the equal sign? (or everything after an
associated parameter, such as the equal sign?)
thank you