Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copying cells- the cell references don't update

If, in you work session, you open several different worksheets with the same
instance of Excel, Excel will use the Options of the first worksheet and
apply it to all the following sheets. So if you openned a worksheet that was
set to Manual mode, and then openned other worksheets, they would all be in
Manual mode.

To test if this is your problem, close all instances of excel, open Excel
with a blank worksheet, verify the mode is Automatic, and finally open any of
your old sheets.
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

"Sarahj" wrote:

I have some finance spreadsheets I have used for ages. I'm often doing
a calculation for one row and then copying it down for all the rows.
Suddenly instead of updating the cell references it merely copies the
contents of the first cell. AND when I point to one of the later cells
it gives the updated cell reference. ie the contents of the cell does
not reflect the reference indicated.
eg A1 contains 1, A2 contains 2 A3=A1+A2=3
B1 contains 4 B2 contains 5 Copy A3 down and B3 shows 3 but the
reference showing is B1+B2 which should be 9!
If I open Excel again a new worksheet behaves properly. However all my
old spreadsheets have developed this disturbing error.I'd be grateful
for an explanation.
Many thanks