Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JSM52272 JSM52272 is offline

Default How do I convert text to numbers in excel?

I have a work schedule that shows "D" for working days, and "N" for working
nights. At the end of the month, there is a cell that shows "Total
Days/Nights Worked" for that particular month. How do create a formula that
says, "If there is a "D" or a "N" in these particular cells, then show a
value of "1" for each, and add them up. In other words, if you worked 6 days
and 9 nights for the month of January, I'd like for the total to show 15.
Thanks a million to anyone who can help.