Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Lonnie_Rudd Lonnie_Rudd is offline

Default Number Matching, one to many

Hello, I'm trying to find matches for a long column of numbers, varies
between 500 to 2,000 or so (these are checks), that match another column of
numbers that varies between 200 to 500 (these are deposits). Each deposit can
have one or lots of checks in it. For example a deposit of $100 may have
checks of $25, $35, $10.76, & $29.24. The end total is not the same, and it
should be when you take outstanding checks into consideration. What I need to
know is which checks tie to which deposits. The bank statements we get have
only the total deposit amount on them, not the detail, and while I could get
detail from the bank on this, it will take a couple of weeks (the bank is in
Scotland), and it would be nice to wrap this up faster than that since I'm
over-worked and under-paid. Can anybody help me with this? I would truly
appreciate it.