Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] mb1978rhk@gmail.com is offline

Default Q: Creating a macro to sort and group columns in a sheet according to another sheet

Hello group.

I have predefined a sheet that has a lot of grouping of columns like
this:

|"A"|"B"|group_1_name|"D"|"E"|"F"|group_2_name|"G" |"H"|"I"|group_3_name|

Group 1 has the columns with the elements "A" & "B"
Group 2 has the columns with the elements "D","E" & "F".
Group 3 has the columns with the elements "G","H" & "I"

This means that if the groups are closed the sheet will look like this:

|group_1_name|group_2_name|groups_3_name|

Now i have a sheet with the top column elements like this:

|"B"|"I"|"D"|"F"|"G"|

then I what my macro to sort and group the columns to the following
result:

|"B"|group_1_name|"D"|"F"|group_2_name|"G"|"I"|gro up_3_name|

Where Group 1 has element "B" , Group 2 has elements "D" & "F" and
Group 3 has elements "G" and "I".

My guess is that key steps in the macro could be:
Step 1: Sort columns like predefined sheet
Step 2: Group columns like predefined sheet
Step 3: Insert group_?_name column

Does anyone have some hints on how I'll get started on this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if my question is unclear.

Regards,

Mb