Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Martin Fishlock Martin Fishlock is offline

Default sequencial sort

Curt,

Why don't you send me the excel file with data and details of how you want
it and I will see if I can do it to hiss
(delete the .cutthis).
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Curt" wrote:

Did sort with helper did not get needed got 1122334455667788 needed 12345678
and repeat to end of column many entries 1 thru eight scrambled as they come
in.

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:

Curt

Sorry, didn't pick up your reply.

Did you solve your problem?

A helper column is simply a new column that is used to help to do the task.

So if your numbers are in column A "insert" a new column next to A
and if you have headings in row 1 put in the new heading "Helper" and then
in the new column under the header enter

a=INT((ROW()-1)/8)

copy this down for the entire list

then copy and paste special values the new column

the sort on the new column as 1 and the list as 2 (clicking header row)

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Curt" wrote:

Not familar with helper column don't catch on to sort helper then other. Do
you know of any documention about this so I may study. Will try excel help
maybe be there.
Thank You so much

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:

Use a helper column with a formula like

=INT((ROW()-1)/8)

you may need to adjust the -1 depending on the start row, I started in row 1.

then copy it down and then copy space special values.

then sort on the helper column and then the column with 12345678.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Curt" wrote:

is it possible to sort a column with many entries 1 thru 8 in a 12345678
order then repeat again,and again until complete column is sorted? All groups
being 12345678.