Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Otto Moehrbach Otto Moehrbach is offline

Default Macro for copying data between sheets - Help needed.

Mark
Let me see if I have this straight. You have data in sheet1 with an ID
number in Column A.
In sheet 2 you have the same ID numbers in Column A.
You want to update the data in Sheet2 with that data in Sheet1.
If an ID number in sheet1 is not found in sheet 2, you want the whole
row copied from sheet1 to the first empty row of sheet 2.
If the number is found, you want those cells in sheet2 updated with the
data in sheet1, BUT only if the cell in sheet1 is occupied. That way, a
blank cell in sheet1 will not displace an occupied cell in sheet2. Is that
right? Otto
"Mark Campbell" wrote in message
I am a beginner to VBA and am looking for some help writing a Macro.

I have approx 900 rows of data in sheet1 of a workbook. Row A contains
the
column headings for the data which is contained in columns A - I . Col A
contains a unique reference code for each row of data. Col B a descrition
and
the other columns contain dates, times and percentages.

I update the data in sheet 1 weekly by first deleting the old data and
pasting in the updated data which is sourced from a project management
software programme.

I am seeking a macro which will copy the data from sheet 1 into sheet 2
when
I activate a control button. The Macro needs to perform the following:

a) For each row of data in sheet 1 - look up sheet 2 to see if the record
already exists (using the col A unique reference code)

b) If the record does not exist - paste the new record into the next free
row in sheet 2.

c) If the record does exist - update columns B - I in sheet 2 with the new
data from sheet1. (Where the new data contains empty cells - I do not wish
over write existing data in sheet 2)

The following conditions are also present:
a) Sheet 1 contains a number of blank rows - i can remove these if
necessary
to make the macro work.
b) Sheet 2 contains some conditional formating which I dont want to lose.
c) Some of the columns in Sheet 2 into which data is to be copied may be
hidden.
d) Autofilters may also be applied to sheet 2 prior to running the macro.

Apologies for the lenght of this post - I hope I have explained by
requirements.
I have looked at Ron's site on this topic but am still a unsure as to the
code needed.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Regards
Mark