Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] nsstick@gmail.com is offline

Default complex time formula

Thanks Tom that helps hugely. I appreciate you taking time to help us
newbies especially with something as simple as the difference in
division.

Cheers

James

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Selection.Columns(1).Cells
With cell
if isnumeric(.Value) then
.Value = ((.Value \ 100) + (.Value - _
(.Value \ 100) * 100) / 60) / 24
.NumberFormat = "h:mm AM/PM"
End if
End With
Next cell

/ this is normal division
\ this is integer division

demo'd from the immediate window:

? 7 / 3
2.33333333333333
? 7 \ 3
2

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob et al,

A couple more questions to help my ignorance:

1.) In the spreadsheet I have columns which include one of two
possible text strings: BKD or ANR. I need to leave them without
changing them. The macro you have helped me with gets stuck when it
encounters text. How do I get the macro to differentiate between text
and integers? And how do I get it to ignore the text?

2.) what is the difference between using the '\' and '/' in this line:
.Value = ((.Value \ 100) + (.Value - (.Value \ 100) * 100) / 60)
/ 24

Cheers and thanks again.

James

wrote:
Thanks Bob - now I understand the offset. Brilliant - thank you again.

James

--
---
HTH

Bob

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks Bob for the macro. It has been interesting working through
what you have done with it as this is the first time I am working
with
VBA.

Is it possible to get the macro to replace the existing values
instead
of starting a new column?

Cheers - James

PS Richard thanks also for the simpler formula (I've just woken up -
West coast of Australia). I'm about to work through what you have
done
with that as it does seem a lot simpler than what I was using.