Dave Peterson

..doc files are usually associated with MSWord.

Try opening that .doc file in MSWord.

==========
Ahhhh.

You're not opening a file named book.doc (at least not on purpose).

You could have book.doc in your XLStart folder.
Use windows start button|search to find XLStart (or book.doc). Then either move
that file out of that folder or delete the file. (I'd move it and then open it
in MSWord to see if was important.)

Or you could have put that .doc file into a special folder:

Inside excel
tools|options|general tab
"at startup, open all files in:" <xl2002+ wording
"Alternate Startup File location" <before xl2002 wording

If you have a folder name in that box, go to windows explorer and move book.doc
out of that folder.

Most people don't have anything in that setting. You may just want to remove
that entry (erase the setting--don't delete the folder).

Blair wrote:

Every time I open Excel I get the following message"Book.doc. File format is
not valid
How do I get rid of this?
Blair

--