Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bz bz is offline

Default variant/error Error 2023

I am using the following code

' Create the argument
arg = "'" & path & "[" & file & "]" & sheet & "'!" & _
Range(ref).Range("A1").Address(, , xlR1C1)
' Execute an XLM macro
GetValue = ExecuteExcel4Macro(arg)

to fetch values from cells in a closed excel workbook.

IF I attempt to fetch the value from an _empty cell_, ExecuteExcel4Macro
returns a variant/error object containing
Error 2023

How can I test the returned object, which should NORMALLY be a string, so
that I can ignore the error?

I want to do something like this:
if GetValue is typoe variant/error then
GetValue = ""
end if

but I can't figure out the correct syntax to do this.
When I try to do something like
On Error goto badvalue
goto good value
badvalue: on error resume next
GetValue = ""
Goodvalue: end subroutine

It either goes into an endless loop or the user sees an error message that
means nothing to them, "type mismatch"

How can I test the Type of GetValue and act upon it?

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap