Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
PaulD PaulD is offline

Default Time formats

The answer to this is similar to the answer to your other post
assuming 9:59:47 is in cell A1 and 24.189 is in cell A2 then
=A1+A2/(24*60*60)
will give you 10:00:11

"keri" wrote in message
ps.com...
:I have a problem with a spreadsheet when I am using a custom format
: h:mm:ss.000 (to show milliseconds).
:
: Column I is a time
: Column J adds I to the start time
:
: eg.
:
: Start time; 9:32.23
: If I2 = 1.32.146 then J2 = 9:33.55
: Then if I3 = 1:27.316 then J3 = 9:35.22
:
: The problem I have is if the value in I is less than 1 minute then when
: column J adds this value to the time it presumes the I value is in
: minutes instead of seconds
:
: eg
:
: Start time; 9:59.47
: I2 = 24.189 then J2 = 590:31.57
:
: (J2 should be 10:00.12)
:
: I think the only way to fix this may be to run a macro first that finds
: all the values that are less than 1 minute and add 00: before them.
: Obviously the problem is that excel thinks this is greater than 1
: minute so how i would find these cells to alter them is beyond me.
:
: Or there may be another way. Any suggestions?
: