Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chip Pearson Chip Pearson is offline

Default select based on 2 columns?

Just for the record, Excel 2007 has a function called SUMIFS that is like
SUMIF but allows for multiple criteria.

=SUMIFS(TCV,Results,"2-In progress")

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Kent McPherson" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with many rows. I want to sum a column based on the
contents of another column. No problem. With this formula, I can do
that:

=SUMIF(Results,"2-In progress",TCV) where Results and TCV are named
ranges.

Now I want to complicate this by adding another layer of filtering. For
all cells that match the above criterion, I want to add another test that
says I only want a subset of these records that match a string in another
column. So I want to add the TCV for all cells that match "xxx" in the
range Results further refined by matching the cells that match "yyy" in
the range Sector.

I have tried many variations on formulas but can't seem to find a
combination that works. Any idea?